Friday, July 23, 2004

Still Human

I've been having better days. I think I mostly needed to get all of my stress and emotions out to help me realize I'm still human. Tomorrow I'll be 38 weeks along in this pregnancy. The eagerness is getting to me but mostly I'm just ready for the baby and new changes that eill come with him to just happen already. Today has been a long day. Mikah had both an eye doctor's appointment and a dentist appointment, plus we now have to drive my brother to and from work. This was Mikah's first eye docor's appointment, ever. When it was time for the glaucoma test, (where they shoot the air into your eye) , he stepped up very bravely. After they puffed the air into his eye though, he gave me a terrified/confused look. I could tell he wanted to run or scream if not both, so I cuddled with him, and let him bury his face into my side. I talked with him and he just started to tear up. The lady who was conducting the test, said it was okay if he didn't finish and I would just have to sign something. So of course he didn't finish that part of the exam. Gladly, we had some time before he went into the room where the doc would check him out. Him and I talked about the scary test, and I told him it was okay to be scared. He gave me a big hug and then thanked me. I love being a mommy. When we went back to the room, he was very nervous. He kept shoving his tongue in his cheek and tried to cover his mouth out of shyness and anxiety. The doc was very cool and talked to Mikah a lot before he did anything. He did a great job at explaining to Mikah what he was going to do, and that none of it would be scary. Mikah did a great job and has 20/20 vision. Later, at the dentist, when they called him back he just skipped and smiled all the way to the assistant so happily. Another mother sitting there was surprised at how happy he was to go back. I was nervous about it because this wasn't a cleaning. He had to have some cavities filled, and I wasn't too sure how he would be after. He came out just fine. Not as thrilled as the last time but he still was ok and had no bad feelings about the dentist! Very cool. He's my brave little man. He's braver than I am most of the time. He's going to school in a couple of weeks, and couldn't be more excited about it. I couldn't be more scared and nervous about it all. But I have to remind myself that its what's best for right now. He's more than ready,. Heck, he's already starting to read before going in. He's going to have a lot of fun and learn a lot too. I know that his first day I'm going to cry my eyes out, ha ha ha.

No comments: