Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Looking Back on the beginning days of Rants

I just realized something very important to myself. Years ago when we were in our boxed church, we were trying to get some great relationships started, and tried to encourage people to meet in their homes....just stirring the pot pretty much. What I remember most is the conversation where Scott and I were talking about reaching out to people. Going where the people are, not drag them in. Go to the coffee shops, libraries, bars, and clubs. Be there where many Christians dare not go. They just seemed appalled we would mention a bar. Especially what we came out of with partying. But what this group didn't understand was our hearts cries out to those people we use to be around. We now know Jesus is the way, how are we going to shed His truthful living light if we can't real them in. I don't remember Jesus putting out bait traps or anything...He went straight up to the prostitues and lepers, where no one would dare go, and hung out and partied with these people.

"Oh, you are the most diseased person in town, come hang out with me, let me give you a hug, cause you are my brother." "Do you realize what it is that you are doing? You can get my disease!" "Oh, yeah I realize what I'm doing, I'm showing my brother how he can live with me forever in the best place imaginable." "Why would you do such a thing, what will the others think?" "Because I can't rest well if I don't try to show you how to live better. That's what family does, and if the others don't see that then I'm sad for them, because it may take them longer to realize the truth. Come, let me show you how it's done and maybe you can be the one to go to them." "But I'm afraid I will disappoint you." "My Dad, the top dog, knew you before you were born, and told me all about you....I know what you can handle." "Thank you Jesus" "Yes, and thank you, brother"

I still love those people, though with many issues we just don't agree with. Our heart flies elsewhere, and that's okay. Either way I'm very thankful for God calling me to where He wants me, and that we are in a place around people that support us with our crazy ideas. But most of all it just feels good to know that we aren't just talking about it anymore. We are finally out here doing what we've ranted and raved about for years. I pray I will always be willing.


Believe me I totally understand not going into a bar if you have an issue with alcohol, you shouldn't go where you can't handle the temptions of your strongest sins. I personally shouldn't go to gay bars. Not until I can maintain a mindset where I can control my drinking there. There's a heavy spirit in those places that hit close to home. The people I always ended up hanging out with were very fun people, and it's hard for me to say no when I've had more to drink than I should in that setting. The spirit that dwells there is convincing that getting trashed like the rest of them is the best thing for you. To drown out your sorrows of what half of the world thinks of you with intoxication. I use to be surrounded heavily with this kind of crowd when I was in my party years. But any other bar, I'm fine, I can have one drink, two at most and be fine. It's very wise to know, understand, and respect your toughest temptations. Respect I guess more your weakness for them.

Sorry, this is a bit longer than I planned it to be. Have a great evening.

3 comments:

Na said...

dude. we are in similar situations.

our fleas are gone except for the basement.

still have roaches, we pay orkin money and still have the damn bastards.

we have mold.

mig has asthma/allergies

we're poor

classic, eh?

some chick said...

i, personally, love a good rant. but that should be no surprise...

Henna Hippie Mama said...

Hey some chick ,I love your rants, they get me fired up. I'm just glad I'm not in that same place where I was when EVERY post I did was a rant. I held too much anguish inside.

Danae, you just need to move here , to get rid of them :) I'm so bad