Sunday, January 09, 2005

the joy of breastfeeding

I must say that I enjoy breastfeeding. This unfortunately wasn't so with my other children, but I think my maturity at the time had a great deal with that. I was 17 with Mikah and 19 with Kiara.....that says enough about that. I always felt trapped and held down, was embarrassed to nurse in public, let alone in front of family at home. But now I know others who are doing it just as long or longer than I am and with that, its comforting. Also I'm not so embarrassed. I do cover up most of the time while in public, but only if I feel it might make people I'm trying to conversate with uncomfortable. And granted some would say, "Whip it out anyways! There's nothing to be shielding, its best for your baby!" (by the way this isn't anyone's outspoken opinion to me),but I wouldn't want to cause any unnecessary walls of communication.

Last weekend though my milk started to dry up. I wasn't satisfying Asa at all with any of my feedings and had to supplement with formula. I tried so many times to feed him, but was about to give up. I didn't let myself though. I decided I was going to be the very stubborn chick I use to be about it, and work it out so I can build up my milk supply once more. So I took two days worth where I didn't give Asa any formula, no matter how bad he cried. Don't worry, he was getting fed, I still had a little bit to give. Anyways, I was feeding him every 1-2 hours at least during this time. Luckily enough I was at my mother-in-law's so I got a little bit of help. After the first day it got a little bit better, not much, but still some improvement. Eventually, I was able to satisfy him with every meal again. This felt good. I can't count how many times I've thanked God for this......very cool.

I use to wonder if the reason why I nursed was because I was lazy......this may still be accurate to some degree, but after the drought threat, its helped me realize how I feel about it more.

No comments: