Thursday, February 09, 2006

What is Successful to you?

One of the things Scott and I struggle with is the term "successful" . We are often confronted with the idea if we made more money or had a degree in something or owned a home, then we would be considered successful. Of course there are many other distractions that come into play, but I chose to name the biggens.

One of the things Scott and I are needing to remind ourselves is that we choose NOT to be successful in those terms right now. At this season of our lives we Choose not to go to school, or take up management jobs....and that's okay to us. I'm not saying it doesn't get hard every now and then, but we are always making it.

Now one thing I didn't mention back there and I should have....what makes you successful in the Kingdom? Now a lot of people may argue this, but this isn't a measurement to be seen by anyone but God above. This is all in the heart...your intentions, if you will. Yeah you may have led a million people to salvation and discipleship.....but it only matters of who you are doing it for. Are your good intentions to serve God, or to help you feel better about helping someone? Wow, did I really just say that??? Yes, I did. One awesome thing about serving God, is that feeling good about yourself does tend to follow. Unfortunately I have been caught in this turbelance/crash mode where my deeds were good, but my heart wasn't. Its not like we're trying to earn brownie points. What we say we wish to do is to serve God fully, but of course we are human and our mind tends to get in the way.

I'm not sure if this is a vent, rant, or getting on my soap box, but it needed to be said. I'm getting bored with the idea of success, and honestly I hope I am not alone.

Why not a management job?????? Because being a manager means you are living your life for work..been there done that.

Why no college now??? Because our kids came first and we don't feel the need to take our time away from them for a piece of paper, or more paper if you will (money) . This is our choice for this season for our family. Every family is different in their ways, and that's okay.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: